Sep 22, 2009

I’m a Terrible Person

Yesterday I was waiting for the NIH shuttle next to a middle-aged man wearing a face mask. It’s nearing flu season, and with the buzz about H1N1 I didn’t think much about it. Then he asked me how to get to a certain building – I looked through the shuttle schedules, which are posted at the bus stop, and told him. We struck up a conversation about how difficult it can be for newbies to navigate public transportation, both on and off the NIH campus. Apparently, he had just flown in from California and had to use the metro/bus system to get here. This naturally led to me asking what brought him to Bethesda.

Him: I’m going to see an immunologist. I’m one of those bubble boys – that’s why I’m wearing the mask.
Me (assuming he was kidding): Heh heh.
Him (sadly): They just can’t figure out why I keep getting sick.
Me: ...

It’s not really news that, if Hell exists, Satan is keeping a seat nice and warm for me. Hearing this, he must have turned the thermometer up a notch. I laughed … at the Bubble Boy. *sigh*

6 comments:

Maggie Cats said...

Wait. Someone asked YOU for directions?

Monkey Sri said...

People have been asking me directions all the time! And I've been giving them correct answers! It's craaaaaazy!

Sarah said...

And this is why we're friends! I would have laughed in his face too- I can't help that bad habit :)

Monkey Sri said...

Thank you for validating my horribleness. I feel better :D

liz kinkydork said...

i laughed at you laughing at him. i am the queen of inappropriate laughter! (and i give terrible directions).

i have a feeling we will be neighbors down there among the flames!

Monkey Sri said...

You know what they say: Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company ;)